Title: Dark Intruder
Author: Vin Packer
Cover artist: Amos Sewell
Yours for: [not for sale]
Best things about this cover:
- Hide-and-seek fail.
- He doesn't look that dark.
- The only way that pose of hers makes any sense is if she's plunging her left arm down into the hay in hopes of recovering a lost earring.
- OMG his right hand WTF? For Halloween, I'm gonna dress as this guy's middle finger. Frightening.
- Vin Packer is a pseudonym for Marijane Meaker, a fine writer of PBO thrillers. Also, a woman. Also, the lesbian paperback writer Ann Aldrich. Also, the children's lit writer M.E. Kerr. And other things.
Best things about this back cover:
- "Father and daughter rode roughshod..." is not my favorite phrase.
- "Then Luke Came" would be a great gay porn paperback title.
- It's interesting to me how much the front and back covers play up "Spring Fire"—I think I underappreciated what a sensation that book was. See it here (Paperback 466).
She could not help thinking of what Raol had said about his mother, feeling a slow, teasing jealousy mount inside her.
First, yes, Raol, not Raul or Raoul. Second, the end of this passage makes me giggle.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]