Saturday, October 26, 2013

Paperback 715: TCOT Perjured Parrot / Erle Stanley Gardner (Cardinal C-379)

Paperback 715: Cardinal C-379 (1st ptg, 1959)

Title: The Case of the Perjured Parrot
Author: Erle Stanley Gardner
Cover artist: Ric Grasso

Yours for: $8

Card379

Best things about this back cover:
  • Woman distraught over loss of parrot attempts suicide by costume jewelry, gets tired, quits.
  • "Maybe if I just lean here sultrily, my parrot will just fly back in the window."
  • I unironically love her dress.

Card379bc

Best things about this back cover:
  • Wait, I can't see Perry, WHERE'S PERRY!? Oh, there he is. Phew. Thanks, Giant Red Arrow.
  • Not often you see the phrase "collection of guns at the public library." At least not where I'm from.
  • Remember when people watched scripted television on Saturdays!? Good times.

Page 123~

"You're putting me in a very difficult position, Mason," Bolding said irritably.
Mason's voice showed surprise. "I am? Why, I thought you'd put yourself in it."

Perry Mason, Smug Dickhead-at-Law

~RP

[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]

P.S. This is one of 97 paperbacks I bought yesterday at the University Book Sale. "Bingeing" doesn't really get at it.

6 comments:

Random White Guy said...

Now I'll be spending my whole weekend wondering where Janice Gantry is.

Stoutcat said...

Oh, you got at least one Rex Stout, yay!

Pat said...

"Excuse me, Librarian. Where do you keep your AK collection?”
“It is just next to the sturmgewehren. If you see the MP5s you have gone too far.”
“Thanks, ma’am.”

Anonymous said...

Rex, you're a glutton. And we all love you for it!

Lacey said...

ORIGINAL scripted programming on Saturday Nights. Not just the reruns from earlier this week.

I remember the OTR radio show Perry Mason and a movie or two. How do the books compare to the TV series?

Peter said...

As my wife says, you can't buy anymore until you've finished reading what you have.