Friday, October 18, 2013

Paperback 712: The Fair and the Bold / Donn O'Hara (Graphic Giant G-222)

Paperback 712: Graphic Giant G-222 (PBO, 1957)

Title: The Fair and the Bold
Author: Donn O'Hara
Cover artist: Barye Phillips

Yours for: $8

GraphicG222

Best things about this cover:
  • I  buy her as The Fair, but aside from his choice to wear burning ships as footwear, I don't really see him as The Bold. 
  • "The Fair and the Dude We Saw at RenFest '12 Last Summer"
  • I am 99% certain that dancing lady is a near-perfect reproduction of some Rita Hayworth picture I've seen ... somewhere.

GraphicG222bc

Best things about this back cover:
  • Here, the sword takes on its full phallic implications.
  • "... his blazing cannon, his murderous sword—and his penis, for which the first two things were pretty obvious metaphors."
  • I love how happy she is. It's very sweet, if not terribly sexy.
  • I also like guard dude who is going to get to hear it all. 
  • You know what's fun to say? "La Cacafuego!"

Page 123~

The movement dislodged the blanket, which slithered off Bakkerzeel's knees to the floor. Fletcher saw that the man had no feet—only blobs of bandage at the ends of his ankles.

Well that took an unexpected and horrific turn. Poor Baker's Eel.

~RP

[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]

6 comments:

Jean said...

La Cacafuego?? You have GOT to be kidding. That is GOLD. I want to frame this paperback cover and hang it on the wall, it's so perfect.

LGD said...

Great memory on Rita Hayworth. Try The Loves of Carmen, 1948 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040552/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Cacafuego said...

Oh. My. God. I have been lurking here faithfully for years, reading each and every post. Much laughter, AND tears of joy. This got me to write in. La Cacafuego is genius. I don't even WANT to translate it. And he had me at his cannon and his sword as his first two loves. I only wonder if the author of this kept a straight face while writing it.

Came for the Caca - stayed for the fuego.

Rex Parker said...

From wikipedia: "Nuestra Señora de la Concepción (Spanish: "Our Lady of the (Immaculate) Conception") was a 120-ton Spanish galleon that sailed the Peru - Panama trading route during the 16th century. This ship has earned a place in maritime history not only by virtue of being Sir Francis Drake's most famous prize, but also because of her colourful nickname, Cagafuego ("fireshitter")."

Rex Parker said...

And this is (roughly) the shot of Hayworth I was thinking of:

http://i43.tower.com/images/mm107063553/loves-carmen-rita-hayworth-dvd-cover-art.jpg

RP

Karl said...

So... Cacafuego translates to just what it sounds like(!). That reminds me: I have to stock up on paper bags for my Hallowe'en pranks...