Title: The Velvet Doublet
Author: James Street
Cover artist: Uncredited
Yours for: $9
Best things about this cover:
- "Hey! Can you grab that velvet doublet!? ... There! ... No, there! It's right ... [sigh] Damn, I'm gonna have to jump in..."
- Just what you've been waiting for: an accidental belated Columbus Day tribute!
- I do love a cover with animated hands—they really do add emotional dimension to a painting.
Best things about this back cover:
- My second-favorite word on this cover is "Lepe" and my first-favorite is "wenched"!
- I'll take "MARAELA" for all her potential power as a crossword answer.
- Screw the doublet, kid. You want the doubloon. DOUBLOON! Ask Columbus. He'll know.
Acros beamed the lordliness of his trade as he showed me the tiller and let me feel it and pointed up to a small opening in the quarter-deck and through this I saw a speck of sky and a bit of sail, and nothing more.
The first half of this sentence *really* reads like sea-porn.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]