Title: Portrait of a Sadist
Author: Paull Hill
Cover artist: Uncredited
Gift to the collection from reader "Stacy" (Thanks!)
Best things about this cover:
- This cover won the "Least Sexy Bondage Painting" contest of 1959.
- Seriously, stare at that foot for a few moments. It just gets creepier.
- You have to admire a sadist whose bondage technique involves colorful ascots.
- Curlicues on the "R"s make the "T" look like it has a fancy mustache.
Best things about this back cover:
- I like the jagged black-and-white electricity that engirds this cover copy. High voltage!
- I like books that express the dark confusion between horror and titillation. "This man sex was sex a hot dirty sex monster sex whose sex story should serve as a sex cautionary sex tale and definitely not masturbation material sex."
- You say "perverted psychopathic lusts," I say "sexual irregularities," let's call the whole thing off.
His whip was at that moment reposing in his suitcase at Bournemouth West railway station, but once again he had his supply of handkerchiefs.
OMG I love that sentence so much. Not sure which is my favorite part: "whip," "reposing" (so genteel), "handkerchiefs" (!!!), or "once again" (!!!!?).
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]