Title: A House in Naples
Author: Peter Rabe
Cover artist: Lu Kimmel
Yours for: $9
Best things about this cover:
- "Heh, I like to watch, heh heh."
- She's like a soap actress looking off-stage to read her next line.
- She appears to be kneeling on a twin bed that is in the middle of the room, dressed in some kind of summery get-up. None of this makes any sense.
- And here I always thought the "Spillane vein" was a euphemism for "penis."
Best things about this back cover:
- Jeez, stamp more shit on it, why don't you? I didn't wanna read the text anyway.
- First sentence of that fourth paragraph ("She was leaning...") was written by someone who should not be allowed anywhere near words.
- Actually, I think an Italian-to-English translator-bot did this copy. It's just tin-eared and awful.
Charley watched the yawl heel and take a close, steady course. He was sure the guy at the wheel was a Sardinian. They can handle a ship when they're half dead.
Chapter-closing line. I quite like it.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]