Title: The Fifth Man
Author: Manning Coles
Cover artist: n/a
Yours for: $6
Best things about this cover:
- OK, it's kind of dull, but what it lacks in the half-naked lady department it partially makes up for in the cool graphic design department.
- I like the chess pieces as a visual representation of the title. Very clever. "Check mate." "But that's not even a..." "I SAID [gun cocking sound] 'check mate'."
- I'm going to suggest that Tommy Hambledon is a lousy name for a hero (or a villain, or a person anyone might care to read about). Unless you play a mean pinball or design overpriced red white & blue mall clothes, if you are a grown man you should not go by "Tommy."
Best things about this back cover:
- Great design, but that phrase doesn't exactly pop. There's just no menace to the word "portfolio."
- Looking at Tommy Hambledon's other "adventures," I'm led to wonder why this book doesn't have the word "Today" in it.
"I am very much obliged to you, Superintendent," said Warren.
"Don't mention it. I am delighted to see you alive, Detective Inspector. I—we—began to think you weren't."
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]