Sunday, December 11, 2011

Paperback 487: The Shocking History of Advertising / E.S. Turner (Ballantine F 403 K)

Paperback 487: Ballantine Books F 403 K (1st ptg, 1960)

TitleThe Shocking History of Advertising
Author: E.S. Turner
Cover artist: Uncredited

Yours for: $9


Ball403.ShockAd
Best things about this cover:

  • The Shocking History Of Fonts!
  • What "tragic ailment" does the "Other Tragic Ailments" guy have? Besides the zits he has picked at, necessitating all the little bits of toilet tissue? I'm going to guess Massive Bald Oval Head Syndrome (MBOHS).
  • I'd be surprised if Dr. Scott's Electric Corset didn't sell by the truckload. I mean, look at that lady. That corset is clearly rocking her "vital organs" big time. I doubt it's a coincidence that "organs" looks a lot like "orgasm," and that the word is running right up her leg.
  • I want a T-shirt with that smoking rabbit head on it.



Ball403bc.ShockAd
Best things about this back cover:

  • Blah blah blah too much text too many colors my head hurts. 
  • The integrated plug!? Sounds like an accessory for Dr. Scott's Electric Corset (plug sold separately).


Page 123~

Some excessively prudish criticisms of posters were voiced during this period. It is on record that even the Bovril bull was condemned by the town of Cork for the reason that it was too obviously a bull.

And thus I leave you with the image of massive bull schlong. You're welcome.

~RP

[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]

5 comments:

Ms Avery said...

Normally I don't like this kind of over-the-top 60s look, but I actually adore that front cover.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. I have that Grand Deception book that's advertised on the back. Maybe worth another look.

Random White Guy said...

I'm sure I shouldn't admit this but... this book sounds kind of interesting to me.

Deb said...

I agree with L: I'd love to read this book.

Larry said...

Smoke Break!