Title: World Without Women
Author: Day Keene and Leonard Pruyn
Cover artist: Robert McGinnis
Yours for: $21
Best things about this cover:
- You do *not* want to fuck with the Council of Floating Lady Heads!
- Staring at your own crotch while the Council ogles / passes judgment is really the most humiliating part of the punishment.
- "I'm sorry, ma'ams. I really am. Can I get off the hot coals now?"
- The old lady up top does not approve of our reading trashy fiction like this! Look at her judging eyes! Shut up, old lady! I'll read what I want!
- Leonard Pruyn? This makes me think that (the prolific) Day Keene started this one and half-way through was like "This kinda sucks. Hey kid, what's your name? ... Leonard? OK, Leonard, you wanna finish this book up for me? I'll give ya ten bucks."
Best things about this back cover:
- France's law is perhaps the most idiotic. If there are really so few women left, then the streets must be a massive sausagefest, with the women presumably somewhere secure. Who cares if a dude wants to go out for groceries at 7?
- I'm sure all this future-shock is supposed to be, uh, shocking, but actually this back cover is phenomenally dull and does Nothing to make me want to read the book (unlike the front cover, which manages to make even a putrid miasmic future hellscape look kinda sexy).
"All right, you male bastards," she said quietly. "You want a woman. Here's one."The Marine lieutenant snatched up one of the phones on the desk and tried to get through to the guard tower. "Shoot, you dumb gyrenes, shoot! Aim at the crowd! Fire over her head!" he pleaded, then realized he was shouting into a dead phone.
In all sincerity, this is good. *This* makes me want to read. "Leonard Pruyn, For The Win!" (it rhymes ... I think).