Title: Magazine of Science Fiction & Fantasy (August, 1955)
Authors: Poul Anderson, Henry Kuttner, C.L. Moore, Anthony Boucher, and Elisabeth Sanxay Holding
Cover artist: Ed Emshwiller
Yours for: SOLD!
Best things about this cover:
- Farmer Ted Goes to Planet Blortron
- If Norman Rockwell did paintings about interstellar, interspecies sexual confusion, they might look something like this: "Wheeeere are youuuuuu goinnnng!? Youuuuu sed youuuuu luvved meeeeee... Take this hellllmet off riiight nowwww..."
- I love the highly underrated Elisabeth Sanxay Holding, and I'm pretty sure I bought this magazine ONLY because she had a story in it (she's more an eerie thriller writer than a scifi writer, normally)
Best things about this back cover:
- Well if Eva Gabor and Guy Lombardo say so, who am I to disagree?
- Love the font on "IMAGINATION."
- "Better newsstands" ... ??? "Man, this is one classy newsstand! ... it's got an awning and everything!"
from "The Tiddlywink Warriors" by Poul Anderson and Gordon R. Dickson
Too late, Alex remembered that he had left Toka without a supply of the potent liquor which was so much a part of everyday Hoka life. Whether known as wine, red-eye, rum, grog, uisgebeatha or Old Spaceman, it was always present in wholesale quantities. Now, for the first time, Alex found himself with a bunch who had it not.
When I am a very elderly man, living on some lunar outpost because of nuclear war / End Times, I will drink "Old Spaceman." Proudly.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter]