Title: The Case of the Constant Suicides
Author: John Dickson Carr
Cover artist: Gerald Gregg
Yours for: $9
Best things about this cover:
- Gerald Gregg does great borderline-abstract covers. Bold shapes and colors. Simple, but I like it a lot.
- That is some thick, thick, possibly polyethylene blood.
- I'm trying to imagine what "constant suicides" could possibly mean. Are they literally occurring non-stop, around the clock? That's rough.
Best things about this back cover:
- I want to live in Angus Campbell's room.
- The only castle in all of Scotland made entirely of red Legos.
- I'm not buying "Courtyard." Looks more like "Sheep Pen."
"No, my boy. The real meat of the thing is here." Dr. Fell made the pages riffle like a pack of cards. "In the body of the diary. In the account of this activities for the past year."
He frowned at the book and slipped it into his pocket. His expression of gargantuan distress had grown along with his fever of certainty.
"Hang it all!" he said, and smote his hand on his knee. "The thing is inescapable! Elspat steals the diary. She reads it. Being no fool, she guesses—"
"Smote!" I didn't know anyone but God ever did that. Cool.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter]