Sunday, April 26, 2009

Paperback 224: Two Surgeons / Richard Meade (Lancer 70-012)

Paperback 224: Lancer 70-012 (PBO, 1962)

Title: Two Surgeons
Author: Richard Meade
Cover artist: Harry Schaare

Yours for: $12


Best things about this cover:
  • Doctor does not look interested. He looks disgusted. "Put your collar back down and get out of my office."
  • She looks like the lead singer of a New Wave band and / or a man.
  • Color scheme is entitled "Aquatic Nausea"
  • What up with that finger-painted smear between their heads. There's daubing, and then there's sloppiness / laziness.

NO BACK COVER - scanner is dying a hard, horrible death and will likely have to be replaced. I'll see what I can do.

Page 123~

Garth nodded and left the operating room. In the corridor, he paused to light a cigarette. The smoke tasted good, abating some of the uncertainty that gnawed at him.


Smoking - good for the body and the mind. Just ask this surgeon...

~RP

8 comments:

Jackie said...

I really want to know more about the whole "argu[ing] about a beautiful woman while a child's life hung in the balance" thing. And, what she's doing with her collar.

pious agnostic said...

I think her blouse is made of that colored Saran-Wrap you get at Christmastime to cover fruitcake.

Alix said...

"No, no, doctors, by all means, keep fighting over that she-man tramp with the faceful of slap. Take your time. I'll just be here in ICU with my DEATHLY ILL CHILD, thank you."

Thomas Miller said...

If there are TWO surgeons, how come we only see one of them?

Jackie said...

Heh. When I first saw this, I automatically figured that she was the other (albeit inappropriately dressed) surgeon. But duh, of course a lady couldn't be a doctor. Especially a hot lady. What was I thinking?!?

Dirt Diggler said...

Who knew Sheena Easton was a pre-med student before finding her true calling as a mannequin?

Eunice said...

I was totally getting David Bowie circa Ziggy Stardust.

Is he raising his left shoulder, or is he, in fact, a hunchback?

Wait, she isn't one of the two doctors? Well that was my first thought too.

Anonymous said...

I don't see why the woman on the cover couldn't be the other surgeon. They could still be struggling over yet another woman while ignoring a deathly sick child. Might make the story a whole lot more interesting.