Author: Ruth Fenisong
Cover artist: John McDermott
Yours for: SOLD! (1/23/09)
Best things about this cover:
- This guy doesn't look dead. He looks tuckered out after an evening of sloppy hamburger-eating. He's got that silly, sated grin on his face. He does have dead-hand, though, I'll give him that. That, or he's amusing his house guest by making shadow puppets on the ground
- This man, and thus the couch, is apparently 8 feet long. Seriously, if the dead guy stood up, his head would clearly no longer be in picture.
- This is the day that Dr. Carlotta Fiore decided, "No more housecalls!" - another day, another gigantic, drunk, ketchup-stained man.
Best things about this back cover:
- Torn from today's headlines! ... seriously, TORN. See the tears. We tore it. Torn!
- "Gridley Nelson" is officially my new crossword-solving moniker / alter ego. I might even have to keep the "Lieut." title.
- "Basement sordidness"!!! Man, I really need to know what that is.
"No." Gaudio turned his wobbly head from side to side to implement the weak denial. The effect was grotesque.
Though surely no more grotesque than the use of "implement" as a verb in that first sentence. Yikes.