Title: Danger Is My Line
Author: Stephen Marlowe
Cover artist: Uncredited (looks like Barye Phillips a little)
Yours for: SOLD! (Jan. 11, 2009)
Best things about this cover:
- "Oh, don't mind me, I'm just..."
- "tying my ... pump"
- "doing some very advanced step aerobics"
- "trying to figure out the most auspicious way to present my magnificent rear end to the world"
- Chester Drum looks like he's prepping to give someone a very unpleasant exam
- "Danger Is My Line" is a beyond-lame title - along with the author's last name (Marlowe), it furthers the impression that the book will be a horrid rip-off of Chandler (who wrote "Trouble Is My Business")
Best things about this back cover:
- So Chester Drum is ... a lamb. Either that, or one of Mary's lambs wants to screw her.
Maybe he got the belly from drinking too much beer or maybe he got it from eating criminals alive - but the overall impression he gave, penguin-body, rimless hexagonal glasses, merry twinkling eyes, was about as deadly as a house-cat's. Still, I told myself, these things are relative - house-cats are pretty deadly: to rats.
"Deep Thoughts," by Chester Drum