Title: The Cosmic Rape
Author: Theodore Sturgeon
Cover artist : Lehr (Just Lehr, like Cher, only less famous) [damn, he has a first name after all - it's Paul]
Yours for: $6
Best things about this cover:
- It's like a horrid disease, all red and inflamed, with pustules and what not. Yuck.
- I'm guessing (i.e. hoping) that the "rape" is metaphorical.
- I should read this. Sturgeon is a fantastic, inventive author whose work I keep meaning to read more of.
- This appears to be a picture of some kind of Mad Max-ish tractor pull. Only the tractors have tails and are being orbited by small aircraft.
- I just put actress IONE Skye in a crossword puzzle that I co-wrote, so I keep reading "lone" as "IONE." Not sure what an "IONE man" would be.
Best things about this back cover:
- Wow. That's a lot of ... text.
- Apparently I paid $3.50 for this (?!)
Screw that. I just read the opening paragraph and that's what I'm going with...
"I'll bus' your face, Al," said Gurlick. [memo to self - steal that name] "I gon' break your back. I gon' blow up your place, an' you with it, an' all your rotgut licker, who wants it? You hear me, Al?"
If I were Al, I would run. Far.