Title: The Martian Tales of Edgar Rice Burroughs, Vol. 2: The Gods of Mars
Author: Edgar Rice Burroughs
Cover artist: Michael Whelan
Yours for: $6
Best things about this cover:
- "Hey, wardrobe, can we get some more groin coverage on set, please? STAT!"
- That hunk of "rock" behind them looks disgusting - like rock candy mixed with snot
- I like the part where the naked ballet dancer disembowels the Cyclopadusasaurus.
- Second sets of arms just look silly. That bottom set looks like the hands of someone who can't see and is flailing wildly because his head is shoved up into the torso of the sabermantis.
- Scifi artists, for whatever reason, seem to get credited a lot more than paperback cover artists working in other genres. It takes real talent to do good scifi covers. Even if the artist is super-talented, there's always the danger (manifested here) that the resulting imaginative landscape will look campy and ridiculous.
Best things about this back cover:
- Ugh, more side-arms.
- Cyclopadusasaurus is open downfield ... looks like she'll catch the moonsphere, but man is she going to take a hit from the safety.
- "Return to Peril" - do I have to?
- Dejah Thoris drops mad beats.
- I don't think you're supposed to want to "escape" from an "Eden" (which is, by definition, perfect)
"The great Thark, I fear, is dead," she replied, sadly.