Title: Bucks County Report
Author: Irwin Wallach
Cover artist: uncredited
Yours for: $10
Best things about this cover:
- "Frankly, Scarlett, this mattress is lumpy"
- For such a hot topic (sex in suburbia) this is a terribly tedious cover. If it weren't for the tepid embrace there on the bed, it would look like a government report of some kind. "Bucks County Report: The Roads Have Been Repaved" ["Yay!"]
- The publication of the Kinsey reports on male and female sexuality in the late 40s and early 50s created a public discourse on sexuality that (ironically?) gave license to sex fiction publishers to promote their work with cover copy appealing to people's alleged scientific / civic interest in the subject. Peyton Place + Kinsey Report => books like this one.
Best things about this back cover:
- Awesome dated vocabulary: "jerkwater"! "squaresville"!
- "... then along came Wilson" - I knew that guy was a perv
Bucks County parties were the easiest for Sam because he did not have to participate beyond having his body in attendance and a glass in his hand. But this particular party held a strangeness for him.