Title: The Crossroads
Author: John D. MacDonald
Cover artist: Uncredited
Best things about this cover:
- "Look at my shoulder holster! Look at it! Yeah, that's right. You better be afraid!"
- Floating Head says: "You dance funny, little man."
- This book has much better cover copy than it does art. See back cover...
Best things about this back cover:
- Centeredness makes back cover copy look like a poem - an awesome poem. Not sure which is my favorite phrase here: "sadistic chiseler" or "musclebound lover-boy." Probably the latter. Also, I love Anything having to do with a motel. Motels are my second-biggest thematic obsession, after Revenge.
- Ridiculous, arbitrary formatting - the gun-toting fist breaks up the text in absurd ways. It's like someone opened up a little door in a wall and is now about to shoot through it blindly.
- John D. MacDonald looks like the biggest Poindexter ever. His glasses are positively Asimovian. Awesome.