Friday, May 17, 2019

Paperback 1038: The Fugitive Eye / Charlotte Jay (Avon 670)

Paperback 1038: Avon 670 (1st ptg, 1955)

Title: The Fugitive Eye
Author: Charlotte Jay
Cover artist: [George Ziel]

Condition: 7/10
Estimated value: $5-7

Avon670
Best things about this cover:
  • "Uh, hey ... I was just ... she was ... I ... just clearing some brush, you know ... at night, in my suit ... it's totally normal, everything's normal"
  • Is that her dress, or did she die inside a giant salmon?
  • Talk about a fugitive eye. I'm over here, buddy!
  • Fear Hand (male edition)
Avon670bc
Best things about this back cover:
  • "How do we convey the sheer terror!?" "Maybe write it on a slant?" "OMG THAT IS TERRIFYING!"
  • "Don't start this..." LOL, OK!
  • I'm mad at "Invariably"; yeah, you heard me, Cincinnati Times-Star
  • "MISS"—we got ourselves an unmarried Aussie authoress, boys!
  • "Beat Not the Bones" never doesn't make me laugh
Page 123~
But as he looked around his gaze met no human face.
There was this one raccoon face, but raccoons probably couldn't testify in court, thought Steve

~RP

[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]

9 comments:

DemetriosX said...

It's not a great cover, but that one bare foot sticking out is pretty effective. I suppose she's rolled up in a blanket or a curtain or something.

That tie with that suit is not a great choice either.

Also, I think that's a young John Barrowman.

ukemon said...

Cover art by George Ziel

vintagehoarder said...

Yay! You're back! I thought you'd abandoned us forever!

I think our Fugitive Eye Guy has wrapped up his victim before dragging her out into the bushes. I don't think he's thought it through - anyone dragging a body through the brush like that is going to leave a trail a mile wide which anyone can follow.

NomadUK said...

Welcome back!

Farceur said...

This was adopted for TV in 1961! Starring Charlton Heston!

Also she worked as a court stenographer in Papua New Guinea, and turned out non-pseudonymous novels, which I'm assuming were literary fiction. Kind of wished she'd written some sort of memoir, but it appears not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte_Jay

Special sauce said...

YAY!!! Welcome back! Missed you terribly.
Checked in from time to time,to see if you had returned. So glad you did.
Hope all is well with you and yours. Best blog around. Discovered you a few years back and I can't tell you how many hours I've spent reading your insights. I'm greedy for more of your take on old paperbacks. Partly due to you I've become quite a collector and would love to send you some just to see what you would come up with comment wise. I owe you. Please leave info on how to get them to you and it will be my pleasure to get a few beauties to you to share with your audience.
Don't be a stranger.

Rex Parker said...

@ukemon, thank you. Source?

@Special sauce, my address is 54 Matthews St Binghamton NY 13905 thx!

~RP

ukemon said...

Lynn Munroe George Ziel checklist.

ukemon said...

Full disclosure... Lynn Munroe now has it on his "maybe Ziel" list. I still think it's Ziel.