Title: Escape to Earth
Editor: Ivan Howard
Cover artist: Ed Emshwiller ("emsh")
Designed by: Irving Bernstein
Estimated value: $15
- Love the "Barbarella" vibe on this one (though "Barbarella" is still several years in the future).
- This is late Emshwiller. Still great Emshwiller. Beautiful, decorative, intricate space-tech surfaces. Bottom half is not much to look at, but the top is lovely.
- Novelets! Is that how you spell that? Reminds me of when I first saw "cigaret" (Raymond Carver). Disorientingly defrenchified.
- Hilariously, Google dictionary flags "novelette" as "derogatory."
- I like the red-bordered spreadsheet look. Very early-80s / "Stranger Things"
- Hey, look!: credits not just for Emshwiller, but for the *designer* as well!? Why can't all books be this good about crediting the art people!?
- Manly Banister is the politest porn name.
[from "Temple of Despair" by M.C. Pease]
"You're dressed like a priest," Brandis said; "I don't want to get stoned."
One of the great out-of-context lines in Pop Sensation history.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]