Title: Nine and Death Makes Ten
Author: Carter Dickson
Cover artist: Uncredited
Estimated value: $12-17 (condition: stunning, unread)
- Amazing Moon-Skull almost makes up for terrible, awkward title that sounds like somebody counting change.
- Somehow, the cursive-script author name following the contours of the cranium reads Adorable. Rules of Pictorial Menace, #28—never make your death skull wear a cute word hat!
- This book is in near-perfect condition. Slight fraying of the perma-gloss is the only sign of wear. Bright and tight and shiny, like it wasn't anywhere close to 70 bleeping years old!
- Again with the problematic naming. Good luck stopping me laughing with a ship name like "Edwardic!"
- "Douse that light!" sounds like the title of an Edwardian rap anthem.
- I shared this book with my UPS guy. I hope that was OK.
"I want you to stop actin' the fool," continued H.M., calmly sighting with another quoit ...
Carter Dickson is not wasting all those hours of nautical terminology research, so suck it up, landlubbers.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]