Title: Darkness at Noon
Author: Arthur Koestler
Cover artist: [jonas?]
Estimated value: $7-10
- This looks like me at roughly 9:30am on the days I don't teach. Minus the cigarette, I mean. Ladies ... liquor ... mystery dude in a hat ... these are where my thoughts wander.
- This is a classic, but I haven't read it. I am surprised to find it is about a lazy dude fantasizing about Parisian booze and broads.
- It's a prison novel, but this doesn't really evoke prison. Faint hints of "brick" in the walls, but that robe looks too comfy for prisonwear.
- Ah, the era of the author-smoking photo. So ... debonair.
- But also so tiny, what the hell's with the picture shrinkage?
- That cover copy does not offer much in the way of breathing room. Yikes.
Woe to the fool and the aesthete who only ask how and not why.
This is in the middle of a dense philosophical section that is all italics and also a bummer.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]