Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Paperback 909: Music out of Dixie / Harold Sinclair (PermaBooks P203)

Paperback 909: Perma Books P203 (1st ptg, 1953)

Title: Music out of Dixie
Author: Harold Sinclair
Cover artist: Uncredited :(

Estimated value: $10-15

PermaP203
Best things about this cover:
  • "Well you ain't no John Tesh, I know that."
  • There are 31 flavors of Disappointment on that woman's face.
  • I like this painting a lot. Perfectly positioned burning cigarette is a nice touch.
  • I love his shirt. I want his shirt. I also want to wear a sleeve garter for no good reason.

PermaP203bc
Best things about this back cover:
  • Dade Tarrant! LOL, sure, that's a plausible name, why not?
  • I hope his business cards read: "Dade Tarrant / Slum-Bred Pianist"
  • Raffish! Is that like "rakish"? [looks word up...] Hey, look at that: first synonym. So I *kinda* knew what it meant...

Page 123~

"Oh, Jesus lover, let's don't have that routine at this time o' day. I can't take it."

This expresses a sentiment I feel on a regular basis.

~RP

[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]

1 comment:

DemetriosX said...

I love those French doors. The color, the missing slats, and especially the crooked slats.

The back cover copy is mostly pretty good, but it says the blues at the top and jazz at the bottom. Which is it? They aren't the same thing. I'm figuring jazz, since the blues didn't grow out of the New Orleans brothel district; that was ragtime, which could be seen as leading to jazz, I suppose.