Title: A Boy Named Cash: The Johnny Cash Story
Author: Albert Govoni
Cover artist: photo cover
Estimated value: $15-20
- It's a boring photo, but I'm in love with the font and color and star-spangledness of "CASH"!
- Hard to believe it's his "first full-length biography," but if a Lancer paperback says it …
- Discography in this thing is legit. Enormous. Runs to well over four pages.
- Book is close to pristine, with the "triple-size pin-up photo" complete intact, and probably never unfurled. Let's unfurl it, shall we?
- Uh … hi.
- TV Tie-In!
- "Here is Johnny Cash in words and pictures" is kind of a lie. Should really read "Here is Johnny Cash in words and picture, singular" (the "triple-size pin-up photo" is the only picture in the whole thing).
Johnny has never forgotten the words he overheard one day when he was in Sam Phillips' office. Through the partially opened door leading into a studio, he heard a man in the studio saying to someone …a. "… marijuana, man. I can dig it."
b. "… Muddy Waters is good, man, but I'm tellin' you … Pat fuckin' Boone, man."
c. "… man, you know they faked that moon landing, right?"
d. "… it's called 'gwa kah MOLE ay'—try it, man."
e. all of the above
f. invent your own answer
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]