Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Paperback 886: The Girl From Midnight / Wade Miller (Gold Medal s1221)

Paperback 886: Gold Medal s1221 (PBO, 1962)

Title: The Girl from Midnight
Author: Wade Miller
Cover artist: Robert Abbett

Estimated value: $20

GM1221
Best things about this cover:

  • Houston, we have Hair Failure.
  • She has my hairline.
  • Not sure how you manage to make naked lady with giant cat look like an alien extra on "Star Trek: TNG," but here we are.
  • Where the hell is Midnight?
  • Kitty thinks you're hilarious.


GM1221bc
Best things about this back cover:

  • Seriously, just scooch her wig forward like an inch and you're in business.
  • Rand Hammond is like something out of a Square-Jawed Sap Name Generator.
  • I like the idea of Rand Hammond working quietly in his veterinarian's office when suddenly a naked bipedal cat just drops from the ceiling.


Page 123~

"His name's Wingy Heller, alias the entire phone book. Anybody remember him?"

~RP

[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]

7 comments:

Karl said...

Man, that blurb on the front cover is a real workout for the sentence-parsing muscles. I'm still trying to figure out how I would answer the question it asks, considering that I've never read anything by Wade Miller.

NomadUK said...

'Wingy'?

vintagehoarder said...

The first thing I thought when I saw that cover was, "Sure, I go walking my big cats in the nude in the middle of the night. Doesn't everyone?"

[lrf] said...

The great pulp novel cliche: yet another hard-boiled veterinarian gets taken for a ride by an alluring dame.

DemetriosX said...

What gets me is the way she's leaning back at such an unsustainable angle. There's no way she can hold that pose for very long. And she looks incredibly bored.

MarkP said...

For supposedly having "two feet", I'm having trouble seeing the right one. In fact, I'm having trouble seeing any part of her right leg, including the buttock!

Anonymous said...

She looks like she's trying to keep her really bad boob job from falling apart: that implant's gonna fall out any minute now.