Title: The Scarab Murder Case
Author: S.S. Van Dine
Cover artist: Uncredited
Estimated value: $15-20
- I seem to have entered the "Mystery Hands With Daggers" portion of my collection (?!).
- "Uh, no thanks, I gave up stabbing. For Lent."
- "Thanks, but my letters have all been opened. My nightgown, on the other hand ..."
- If you wanna deflate her heaving bosom, you're gonna need more than a dagger, big boy.
- I can't tell what tore a hole in the cover—the dagger, her smoky gaze, or her potent thoracic thrust.
- Hmm, a tiki etui radio. Cool.
- "Penetrates twisted passions"—there's no way the book lives up to the image in my head.
- I've never been less convinced of something's best-ness.
"Why not try to cerebrate occasionally?"
Sadly, not a typo.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]