Title: The Girl in the Gold Leather Dress
Author: Victoria Kelrich Morhaim
Cover artist: Barye Phillips
Estimated value: $15-20
- The girl who hated books and sandals and so moped on the couch.
- It's rare that the stars of a front cover are pillows.
- "Stupid pillows, upstaging me … I wanna go get ice cream. All this leather is making me hot."
- "The story of a beat coed." I assume this means she is super-tired and has to sit down for a bit.
- Oh, *that* kind of "beat." Gotcha.
- You gotta love when history makes cover copy laughable. "Ginsberg! Kerouac! MORHAIM! Names that will live through the ages!"
- Seriously, though, this is a cool, unusual (and nearly flawless) paperback original, written about the beat generation During the beat generation—and by a woman. Screw your gray flannel suit. It's Gold Leather Dress time!
"And I don't think we'll have any more discussions about propriety and my Ph.D., will we?"
Pretty sure I said these exact words a lot in the '90s.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]