Monday, February 16, 2015

Paperback 860: Case of the Petticoat Murder / Jonathan Craig (Gold Medal 784)

Paperback 860: Gold Medal 784 (PBO, 1958)

Title: Case of the Petticoat Murder
Author: Jonathan Craig
Cover artist: Uncredited

Estimated value: $20

GM784

Best things about this cover:

  • The second movement of "Eroica" *is* pretty groovy…
  • That hand is halfway between Fear Hand and "You Want Some of This?" Hand.
  • I really, really like that bare suggestion of a bed frame. It's a pair of lips! It's a gun sight! The whole spirit of Sexy/Danger conveyed in a few graceful black arcs.


GM784bc

Best things about this back cover:
  • Mustard. I think that's what I'm looking at.
  • I wish all the non-green words would just drop away. Now that's what I call "poetry."
  • You rarely see detectives so proud of their necrophilic tendencies.

Page 123~

"Because, for one thing, I don't care for alligator."

~RP

[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]

2 comments:

DemetriosX said...

This is definitely one of the hottest covers you've posted in a while. The tag line, alas, doesn't work with it at all. How are her hips swaying in that position? (Although, if they are, hello nurse!)

I think this has come up before, but I just can't read these series announcements that say "Another XYZ book" without hearing them in a totally exasperated voice. "Oh, geeze, not again!"

Unknown said...

Her hips may not be swaying but you can tell from this angle that baby's got back.