Friday, February 6, 2015

Paperback 857: Jimmy Hoffa's Hot / John Bartlow Martin (Crest 340)

Paperback 857: Crest Books 340 (PBO, 1959)

Title: Jimmy Hoffa's Hot
Author: John Bartlow Martin
Cover artist: photo cover

Estimated value: $10-15

Crest340

Best things about this cover:

  • Lady with questionable taste says what?
  • This is not a dynamic, or even a distinctive, picture. Would go equally well with book entitled, "Ohio's Best Funeral Directors."
  • John Bartlow Martin also wrote Butcher's Dozen (Signet 909).


Crest340bc

Best things about this back cover:
  • Now *that* Hoffa picture — *that's* what I'm talkin' about! "The Creature Rose In Fury From The Primordial Swamp …"
  • This back cover scrupulously avoids the terms "mafia" or "organized crime," opting instead only for the  shadowy term, "underworld."
  • "I Will Feast On Your Pancreas, Bobby Haircut!" Priceless.

Page 123~

MR. HOFFA: To the best of my recollection, I must recall on my memory, I cannot remember.
MR. KENNEDY: "To the best of my recollection I must recall on my memory that I cannot remember," is that your answer?

MR. HOFFA: No, I'm sorry. That last part should be "I banged your mother." I'll try to enunciate more clearly. My apologies.

~RP

[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]

4 comments:

A said...

I don't know about other gals, but Hoffa is last on my 'to do' list.

Peter Ball said...

Reading that transcript, I see that Jimmy Hoffa was the father of our Lord Prescott.

Graham Powell said...

Sez Wikipedia: "John Bartlow Martin was... speechwriter and confidant to many American Democratic politicians including... Robert F. Kennedy." Seems like he would have tried harder to make Bobby the hero.

FA Neophyte said...

Jimmy Hoffa's Hot...what? Pancakes? Coffee? The missing noun will haunt my dreams tonight.