Title: Famous Sheriffs and Western Outlaws
Author: William MacLeod Raine
Cover artist: Uncredited
Estimated value: $15-20
Best things about this cover:
- What are "Things you'd find in the most cliché depiction of a saloon"?
- Hardbound paperback. Because "Perma"nence. Permabooks is retrospectively adorable.
- So the guy shoots his gun then lays it gently down on the table and walks away. Seems … implausible.
- I like the aural juxtaposition (!) of "cloud" and "rain" in this dude's name.
Best things about this back cover:
- "BOOKS*TO*KEEP." It kills me that your core concept is that paperbacks should come in a hardbound version for preservation purposes … and then several years later, you still have the same name, but the hardbound versions: gone.
- This company is dedicated to stretching the meaning of "permanent" as far as possible before it snaps.
- The problem with the PERMAgloss, as any paperback collector knows, is that "perma" part is a damn lie. Shit peels off like crazy. Here, it's just pulling from the surface slightly, creating weird puddle-like patterns that I'm not sure you can even see on the scans.
But they did not leave wholly unavenged.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]