Title: Death Before Bedtime
Author: Edgar Box (Gore Vidal)
Cover artist: [Samuel] Cherry
Estimated value: $15-20
Best things about this cover:
- "If I can't have this hideous table lamp, no one can!" (I'm currently Ob Sessed with the table lamps of crime fiction / film noir / crime TV)
- "Stop right there! Now, tell me … do these heels go with this embroidered bathrobe? Answer me, punk!"
- Nice leg extension. You rarely see such poise in someone scrambling to protect herself from an intruder. Old school.
- Edgar Box is Gore Vidal. I've been meaning to read Vidal's Box stuff for a while. Maybe this Christmas …
Best things about this back cover:
- Hey, his secretary can't help her spinal deformity, you assholes.
- I hope "The woman he kept a secret" is an imaginary friend.
- "The buddy who hated him" is just a great stand-alone phrase.
She flushed, confused. "I … I was mistaken then. I was under the impression you thought Johnson was in some way involved."
Lydia was always the first to volunteer … if Johnson was involved.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]