Title: Duel in the Sun
Author: Niven Busch
Cover artist: photo cover (mostly)
Yours for: $12
Best things about this cover:
- Jennifer Jones manages to make armpit-sniffing look pretty sexy.
- Joseph Cotten does not look "lusty." He looks "lank" and "weird." (Upon further review, that looks more like Peck than Cotten)
- This hybrid photo/graphic cover is strange, though it does convey "sun-drenched" pretty well.
- I believe this was a controversial film in terms of its tawdriness. Ah, here we go—per wikipedia: "The film received poor reviews, however, and was highly controversial due to its sexual content and to Selznick's real-life relationship with Jones, which broke up both of their marriages."
Best things about this back cover:
- Just … nothing.
- Wait, I take that back. "Lewt McCanles" is a pretty great/awful name.
- Also, that's pretty high praise from Cain.
They rode for a couple of hours after dark and when they camped Coz wouldn't let Lewt light a fire. They were uncomfortable that night—thirsty and sore, and Lewt felt sick and couldn't eat the jerky Coz had brought along.
I'm sure there is some very thick sexual tension here — if only I could understand all this coded language.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]