Title: The Way of All Flesh
Author: Samuel Butler
Cover artist: Uncredited
Yours for: $21
Best things about this cover:
- "What're *you* lookin' at?"
- Her stockings are nuts. Horizontal red stripes? When was that a thing?
- This is the most pristine early Pocket Book I own—from the first year of the mass market paperback industry's existence. There are two signifiant scuff marks on the spine edge, but otherwise, it's shockingly pristine. Permagloss intact and everything. Trust me when I say 1939 paperbacks are rarely found in this state anymore.
Best things about this back cover:
- That Shaw quote is one of the best things I've ever seen printed on a back cover. The literary equivalent of "this is why we can't have nice things."
- "Now Ready." It's so adorable how *new* the paperback was at this point.
One would have thought she had sowed enough of such religious wild oats by this time, but she had plenty still to sow."Religious wild oats" is not a phrase I ever expected to see.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]