Title: Four From Planet 5
Author: Murray Leinster
Cover artist: [Paul] Lehr
Yours for: $10
Best things about this cover:
- Yes, if I were in Antarctica, these kids would indeed freak me the fuck out. I would make that exact trepidatious gesture with my left hand ("Fear Hand!"). But wait ... he has a camera on a tripod. Maybe they're a singing group and he's their manager and they're terribly lost and he's decided to use this free time to take some promotional photographs. Yes, that makes sense.
- I really, really wish I could see the guy's face. Seems crucial. I need to know how I'm supposed to feel about this Aryan Children's Brigade. My default position is "terrified."
- The cover copy does imply that "unknown terror" is a given, and we're just waiting around to figure out what kind.
Best things about this back cover:
- "Utterly invincible telepaths will broadcast your shabby sins to the world! Gird yourselves!"
- I assume this ends with the kids forming a band and singing their way into civilization's heart. Or with the revelation that one of the kids is really Jesus.
"The kid got past three electric fences, and we don't know how. He must know plenty about electricity."
Brilliant. I'm now rooting for the kid.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]