Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Paperback 678: Four From Planet 5 / Murray Leinster (Gold Medal s937)

Paperback 678: Gold Medal s937 (PBO, 1959)

Title: Four From Planet 5
Author: Murray Leinster
Cover artist: [Paul] Lehr

Yours for: $10

GM937

Best things about this cover:
  • Yes, if I were in Antarctica, these kids would indeed freak me the fuck out. I would make that exact trepidatious gesture with my left hand ("Fear Hand!"). But wait ... he has a camera on a tripod. Maybe they're a singing group and he's their manager and they're terribly lost and he's decided to use this free time to take some promotional photographs. Yes, that makes sense.
  • I really, really wish I could see the guy's face. Seems crucial. I need to know how I'm supposed to feel about this Aryan Children's Brigade. My default position is "terrified." 
  • The cover copy does imply that "unknown terror" is a given, and we're just waiting around to figure out what kind. 

GM937bc

Best things about this back cover:
  • "Utterly invincible telepaths will broadcast your shabby sins to the world! Gird yourselves!"
  • I assume this ends with the kids forming a band and singing their way into civilization's heart. Or with the revelation that one of the kids is really Jesus. 

Page 123~

"The kid got past three electric fences, and we don't know how. He must know plenty about electricity."

Brilliant. I'm now rooting for the kid.

~RP

[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]

1 comment:

Karl said...

A phrase you should avoid if you're trying to sound serious:
"The overlords of the underworld."