Title: The Delicate Ape
Author: Dorothy B. Hughes
Cover artist: Uncredited
Yours for: $17
Best things about this cover:
- I have not read this book, but I dearly hope that this cover is some kind of surreal metaphor and not an actual scene from the book.
- Who would pick this book up based on its cover? "Hmmm, I've always been curious about apes who are also sexual sadists and aesthetes ... I guess I'll give this a try."
- Love the flag motif against the camouflage background. It's like some horribly ill-conceived army recruitment poster. (Upon closer inspection, it's actually a camo-colored map of the world)
Best things about this back cover:
- Well, if you want to know what this book is about, that first paragraph really isn't going to help you much.
- I think the cover is a depiction of "a seductive force in evil hands."
- I assume the information he has, the information everyone wants, is data on the disastrous consequences of a flower diet in the ape population.
"He's an old man. Something could happen."
"These opportune events do not often occur." Watkins scooped a spoon of ice cream.
Spy's gotta eat.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]