Title: The Shame Sell
Author: Alan Marshall (sometime pseudonym of Donald Westlake)
Cover artist: Uncredited
Yours for: $30
- "Gee, putting together this new life-model kit is a blast!"
- "So, you're telling me the cup goes ... like this ... and it keeps those things on the front of your chest from bouncing so much? Wow."
- Seriously, he's putting that bra *on* to that girl, and he's even doing *that* wrong.
- "I call this painting 'Drunk Girl Airs Out Her Pits.'"
- Actually, I would call this painting "How To Ruin a Perfectly Good Picture of a Naked Woman." 1. Add creepy man-child. 2. have her do something inexplicable with her arms while making stupid drunk-face. 3. Replace pubic area with scary, uniformly black patch. Boner averted!
Best things about this back cover:
- "Who could believe the truth?" I'm guessing Not Me.
- Ah, the ad game. Oh, so the guy on the cover must be Dan Drooper from AMC's "Sad Men."
- I hope the butterfly net is nonmetaphorical.
Jon sat back, rested his elbows on the arms of the swivel chair, tapped his fingers together, and eyed the ceiling. "C. F., the way I see it, it's time for you to escalate against Oona. The situation is peaking out, and so a certain accclimatizing seems to be in order."
Even the guy in the book replied, "A certain what?" Now if you'll pardon me, I have to go escalate against Oona ... *if* you know what I mean (do you? 'cause I don't)
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]