Title: Alpha Centauri or Die!
Author: Leigh Brackett
Cover artist: Uncredited [Carlos Ochagavia]
Yours for: $5
Best things about this cover:
- "Uh ... I don't think they're home." "Did you ring the doorbell?" "Of course I rang the doorbell. What did you think, I'm just gonna stand here and ... wait, I hear something. Someone's in there. 'Hello! Hello?!'" "This is ridiculous. Who needs this much security?" "Don't be rude. 'Hello!' Maybe there's a dress code or something. I told you not to wear that stupid egg costume..."
- Space Station Security—powered by Simon and some reel-to-reel tape.
- I went through a Leigh Brackett phase in the late '90s, after I found out that she a. co-wrote "The Big Sleep" screenplay (with William Faulkner), and b. wrote the screenplay for "The Empire Strikes Back." She's a very competent writer who should probably be better known.
Best things about this back cover:
- Wow, that is some stain. I think that stain is now home to some microbial life forms. Appropriate for scifi.
- I thought the dude's name was "To [rhymes with 'Bo'?] Kirby"
- In space, no one can hear you complain about the tryranny [sic!]
They sweated it out crouched under their tarps, and after it was over they wallowed on through the mud to make a camp where they had stopped before, clear of the forest. Damp and tired, they huddled around a hopeless little fire and chewed a cold supper.
Lollapalooza is the same no matter what planet you're on.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]