The P. Morrison Donations #10
Dell 8884 (1st ptg, 1965)
Title: Tickets for Death
Author: Brett Halliday
Cover artist: Robert McGinnis
Best things about this cover:
- "Tickets for Death ... I mean Raffle! Tickets for Raffle. Forget what I said about Death. We are raffling off this lovely couch. You like?"
- When throw pillows attack!
- What is that amorphous green splotch in the right foreground? Another throw pillow (suspended in mid-air)? A very very puffy ottoman? The back of a man who is doubled-over and heaving on the carpet (head toward the center, out of frame)?
- I love how she was clearly painted nude and then some purple came along and hopped on as a kind of afterthought. It's a rare evening gown that allows you to see every contour of the navel area.
- So is that MAME or MAMIE, pronunciation-wise?
- "This racket, she is encrusted with diamonds and rubies. You like?"
- "But with a girl like Mayme, you just want her to shut the hell up and do the sex."
His belly shivered gently, like a protuberant bowl of jelly, each time he breathed.
A nice hard-boiled riff on "'Twas the Night Before Christmas"
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]