Title: The Physiology of Sex
Author: Kenneth Walker
Cover artist: none
Yours for: $8
Best things about this cover:
- This was printed during that short period when Puritans ran Penguin and demanded that all images besides the logo be expunged from the covers.
- This gives me sex just the way I like it: sound and unflinching. And with penguins nearby.
- Pre-Kinsey guide to being normal... oh dear lord, I opened to a random page (106, to be exact) and found this gem: "So far the emphasis has been placed on the man's responsibility in coitus, since it falls to him to waken his wife's latent sexuality." Honestly, how did anyone survive the '40s? (I'm guessing by fucking instead of reading about fucking)
Best things about this back cover:
- Just Bernard? Not George Bernard? Why not just go all the way and call him "Bernie?"
- Penguins say num num num to the number "520"
If the stock be good and the family free from all such inheritable troubles as mental defectiveness, predisposition to tuberculosis, and insanity, there is no reason why the children of cousins should not be as healthy as the children of other people.
Well I did not see that coming.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]