Title: Dagger of Flesh
Author: Richard S. Prather
Cover artist: no idea
Yours for: not for sale (gift of Doug Peterson)
Best things about this cover:
- As I told Doug the first time he showed this to me: "Dagger of Flesh ... well, that wouldn't be very effective. It would buckle on you every time you tried to use it."
- At first I thought I was looking at a drug-addled couple sitting/lying on a bed. Then I realized they were sitting/lying on the neck of a donkey.
- Why are the man's hands bound by the wimple of a snow leopard with an Asian lady's face?
- I imagine that these two look as wasted as the artist must have been when conceiving / executing this painting.
- Trite tagline! Come on, copy writers! Shell deserves better.
Best things about this back cover:
- Op Art! I am getting dizzy...
- "Like I had no control over my brain" — been there. Am there, frequently.
- "Maybe I did kill Jay" — now now. No one wants to kill Jay himself. Just his mediocre new show.
This is the day, Logan, I thought. Today you get even, maybe. Today you find out what the hell's been going on and fix some bastard's wagon, if you're lucky.
"Fix some bastard's wagon" is pure awesome. I have to start using wagon-fixing as a metaphor for revenge. For real.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter]