Title: Danger in Paradise
Author: A.S. Fleischman
Cover artist: Barye Phillips
Yours for: $15
Best things about this cover:
- Is she trying to crawl under some kind of tarp? What's that huge dark area above her right hand supposed to be? Pan back!
- Seriously, pan back. This woman was not meant to be appreciated at this distance. She looks scared. And smeary.
- "Her love was an invitation to death ... but first she needs to change her car's oil" (my new explanation for what she's doing on her back on the ground about to go under some dark object)
- I only just got the fact that the title is a play on the phrase "Stranger in Paradise."
- The right hand doesn't quite look like it belongs to her. And those talons are freaking me out.
Best things about this back cover:
- Oh, "Look Behind You, Lady"'s got a comma now, eh? Well, la-di-dah.
- Apollo Fry, the lost Fry Guy.
- "I flicked her chin with my knuckles" is a great euphemism for "I punched her in the face."
- "When we came out of the trance..." Wait, what? What happened between paragraphs. One second he's playfully abusing her, and the next, they're coming out of a trance?
- "... set in the troubled East." i.e. exotic downtown Trenton, NJ.
"She wouldn't be hard to fall in love with, would she?"
I clamped my jaws.
Well, that's an awkward sentence. All I can picture is him with his lower face in a vise.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter]