Title: The Body in the Bed
Author: Bill S. Ballinger
Cover artist: Mitchell Hooks
"I said 'Queen Size comforter,' you fool, not 'King!'"
Best things about this cover:
- False advertising - Technically she's by the bed, not in it.
- If the cover features a girl with a gun, I buy the book. Almost without exception. Hence my purchase of a 5th printing (!?).
- Whoever wrote the cover copy has a very tin ear: "When she was alive she was dangerous ... but when she was dead, she was dynamite!" - that's how a pro would have written it. This version clunks / sucks.
- "SEASON'S TASTIEST DISH" - Hey, S.F. Chronicle: what season!? Autumn? Easter? Hannukah? Could you not even afford to print the definite article?
Best things about this back cover:
- In case you didn't get enough sickly aquatic-colored comforter on the front cover: reprise!
- "... favorite pipe and slippers"?? Somehow this image of domesticity doesn't quite seem to go with the idea of banging your secretary.
- "Barr Breed!" - Awesome. You couldn't invent a cheesier P.I. name if you tried. Go ahead, I dare you. The only thing better than that name is the use of "private eyes" as a verb!
- "... a disappearing lucky charm" - I wonder if it was the green clover or the blue diamond...