Friday, January 5, 2018

Paperback 1004: The Dark Chase / David Goodis (Lion 133)

Paperback 1004: Lion 133 (PBO, 1953)

Title: The Dark Chase (Nightfall)
Author: David Goodis
Cover artist: [Julian Paul]

Condition: 4/10
Estimated value: let's say $50

Lion133
Best things about this cover:
  • My god her radiant disappointment is glorious! He was supposed to take her someplace swell tonight, I bet.
  • Fantastic contrast between the tagline and the picture: "100 Savage Hours ... of Johnny Cleancut Polishing His Gun"
  • "Ed Harris and Audrey Totter are ... Bored in Peoria!"
  • She has what Christa Faust calls "Bitch Eyebrows"—great ones—and I don't know what you call that 1/2 akimbo hipcock of exasperation, but it's working. Truly GGA (Great Girl Art)
  • This is the third cover in my collection (so far) with the "Paul" signature. The first one was ... the very first paperback I ever wrote about.

Lion133bc
Best things about this back cover:
  • Yeah. *That's* the part of the front cover we all want to look at again.
  • My name is Jim Vanning / I'm way into canning / You all won't believe / The great ketchup I'm planning.
  • I have a gun ... I will use it on them, on the whole gang of them ... and I will use it in a box ... and I will use it on a fox ...
  • Real talk: David Goodis is one of the titans of paperback noir and this book is a treasure. It's beat to fuck, but in the most aesthetically perfect and readable way. Quintessential, this one.

Page 123~

He splurged on a brocaded robe.

Ew.

~RP

[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]

4 comments:

DemetriosX said...

God, the disdain just gushes off the page. She's fantastic. I can't quite tell if she's looking at the guy or his ridiculously tiny gun. I also can't quite parse the structure on the left side of the picture. A swing-arm lamp?

The back cover copy is delightfully paranoid. I have a hard time not believing that the voices in his head are the ones telling him all about "them".

Your response to the page 123 quote may be one of the funniest things you've ever written. I laughed.

Rex Parker said...

Only took me 1004 tries!

Hugh Candyside said...

It's Julian Paul.

Rex Parker said...

Thank you