Title: Away and Beyond
Author: A.E. Van Vogt
Cover artist: Richard Powers
Estimated value: $10-15
Condition: 7-8/10 (near perfect, but w/ smushed corner on back cover)
- I feel like a crucial part of this scene is *just* off-cover: what is the humanoid figure holding / pointing toward / squeezing? Another humanoid? A Nobel Prize? Pancakes?
- Powers could basically draw anything and it looked amazing. Who has any idea what is going on here? Who cares?
- Loopy laser lines swooping in and out of figures. Structural, skeletal, electric.
- August Derleth ... is not a dynamic writer.
- Those samples are Unevocative. Scare quotes don't do what you think they do, copywriter.
- Only way you're buying this is if you already like Van Vogt. Or are bored and will take a flyer on anything that looks this cool.
[from "Film Library"]
Mr. Arlay said, "Careful, Tania. We're almost at rock bottom."
Next time someone goes too far, forget "Slow your roll" or "TMI"—just tell 'em "Careful, Tania."
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]