Thursday, May 26, 2016

Paperback 944: The Shadowy Third / Marco Page (Pocket Books 537)

Paperback 944: Pocket Books 537 (1st ptg, 1949)

Title: The Shadowy Third
Author: Marco Page
Cover artist: Harvey Kidder

Estimated value: a pittance
Condition: 2/10 (read to death, i.e. beautiful to me)

PB537
Best things about this cover:
  • "Now *where* did I put my little dead man? I know he's around here somewhere..."
  • This dude has QWD face (i.e. Quintessential White Dick). He's ... perfect / generic.
  • The man above our hero's left ear is either playing "got-your-nose!" or putting that guy's eye out with a lit cigarette. Choose a scenario to fit your mood!
  • P.S. a violin

PB537bc
Best things about this back cover:
  • "Oh, no! Not Igor *Krassin*!" I exclaimed, reflexively.
  • "What kind of knife was it, Doc?" "Thin. It was thin. It's a technical term. I don't expect you to understand."
  • It took more than a game of eeny-meeny-miney-mo to finger the killer. You also had to buy him a drink first.

Page 123~

"All right, if that's how you want it. I trusted you, Calder, I gave you every break so you could grab a fee on that violin. You're turning out to be a heel."

I love hardboiled man-feelings drama. "After all I've done for you, couldn't you just once hold me and tell me I'm pretty, Calder, you heel!"

~RP

[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]

No comments: