Title: The Valiant Strain
Author: Kenneth E. Shiflet
Cover artist: [Robert McGinnis]
Estimated value: $8-10
- Lieutenant Grumpystache misses his Xbox.
- That neckerchief is beautiful. I also love the orange, the hint of mountains, the way the line of soldiers on horseback extends and fades to nothing. Fine little touches like these make this potentially generic cover visually interesting.
- Turns out McGinnis can paint things other than bored-looking half-naked ladies with ample hips. I had to double-check my own labeling just now, because I thought "no way this is McGinnis."
- "A story as big and rugged as these two giant dueling cocks … oh, sorry sabers. Those are sabers. All appearances to the contrary … sabers."
- I can't wait to read about the "strain" that brought the
giant dueling cocksmen to their "final glory." I am in. Money down, out the door. You had me at "shavetail."
Roan thought of how Graham had denied them.
Don't deny them, Graham. Open your heart. Let your love flow. And nevermind that I'm taking things out of context, just go with it.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]