Friday, July 3, 2015

Paperback 897: Love Is the Winner / Natalie Shipman (Bantam 451)

Paperback 897: Bantam 451 (1st ptg, 1948)

Title: Love Is the Winner
Author: Natalie Shipman
Cover artist: Nelson Davis

Estimated value: ~$15

Bant451
Best things about this cover:
  • And Joan is the loser.
  • You can tell by Joan's face that she is *not* going to lose her man to some cut-rate Lauren Bacall. "First, watercress sandwiches. Then ... revenge!"
  • That knob at fake-Bacall's crotch level is, to put it mildly, distracting.
  • I'd say the paperback title is an upgrade. "Who Wins His Love" = the "Who's on First" of book titles.

Bant451bc
Best things about this back cover:
  • I am serious when I say I want the top third of this cover on a t-shirt. WHAT'S A GIRL TO DO indeed.
  • "Or shall she turn to another man..." Wait, were there really no other options in there?
  • Are the demanding lips forming words that are demanding, or are they just ... really muscular and squirmy on your face?

Page 123~

"Are you having lunch with Jim?" Mrs. Converse had asked before she left.
"I'm going to telephone him," Kathy said. "He may be tied up."

I have to imagine him literally tied up, because otherwise this ends up being the single most boring Page 123 I've ever read.

~RP

[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]

No comments: