Title: A Man Called Spade
Author: Dashiell Hammett
Cover artist: Robert Stanley
Estimated value: $30
- Spade's tie is super-excited for battle.
- If you looked in a 1950 encyclopedia under "Private Dick": this picture. Chiseled. Determined. Behatted. Textbook.
- Fear Hand Photobomb!
- The scale / perspective is All wrong on this, but given that awesome green shirt, I'm gonna allow it.
- "She screamed as Spade dashed up the stairs"—get it? "Dashed"? Yeah, you get it.
- I have a friend whose kid is named Dashiell. Art Spiegelman's son is named Dashiell. This concludes the Dashiell-shout-out portion of my the program.
- Whoa. You know, sometimes we forget that 1940s apartments were all long couches and putting greens.
- Max Bliss is the best unintentional porn name I've come across in a Long time.
- I love a pitcher of Bloody Marys as much as anyone, but maybe ease up on the celery there.
- Wow, Max Bliss's daughter is taking that "50 Shades of Grey" thing a bit literally.
Page 123~ (from "Too Many Have Lived")
She was short, square, as if carved economically from a cube.
Talk about economical. That is some haiku-esque objectification right there. Classic.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]