Title: The Astronaut
Author: Hank Searls
Cover artist: Uncredited
Estimated value: $5-10
Donation to the collection from The Second Reader Bookshop (Buffalo, NY)
Best things about this cover:
- It's the touching story of a lonely Stormtrooper and his inflatable girlfriend…
- If you're gonna fall to your death, may as well go out ogling bikini-clad blondes.
- This must be just before he captures her and puts her in a bottle and makes her wear pajamas all day long.
- The design here is actually spectacular. It's got that wackadoodle '60s vibe. Nice incorporation of the letter "O" into the spacesuit design. Stars in her eyes are a little cheesy / spot-on, but her little green bikini makes a nice visual impact, and the overall sun-drenchedness of the thing is a nice counterbalance to my mostly Dark cover collection.
Best things about this back cover:
- The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat, Literally.
- "You down with M.P.P.?" ("M.S. Ph.D.!")
- Whoa, "hanky-panky at the motel"!? Tell me more. Seriously, if it happens at motels, I need to know.
- Project Head? Really? No one batted an eyelash at that? OK, then, '60s, carry on …
Straight in front of him were the retro-rocket controls, welded immovably in place so that the chimp could not override ground control.
Chimps? It's got chimps? Talk about burying the lede…
P.S. Many thanks to John from The Second Reader Bookshop in Buffalo, NY, who reads my crossword blog and responded to my fund-raising drive there with a donation of books for here. Two more coming later this week.
P.P.S. John also sent me this postcard, which … well, if you all won't appreciate it, I don't know who will:
[Miss Lube Rack]
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]