Titles: The Door Through Space / Rendezvous on a Lost World
Authors: Marion Zimmer Bradley / A. Bertram Chandler
Cover artist: Ed Emshwiller / Ed Emshwiller
Estimated value: $10-15
Best things about this cover:
- "40 Demons!?" "No, 4-D Demons!" "…?"
- Even the giantest Fear Hand could not protect the galaxy's skinniest spaceship from the flamboyant-yet-savage robot birds!
- *That's* your "Door Through Space"? Looks more like "Archway To Pool Party."
- Emshwiller's covers are awesome to look at. He likes to include all this random ornate decoration and machinery. Here, I particularly admire the oil rig/water slide/clock tower gizmo in the lower right. The people in the party seem to dig it, too. Maybe it is their god.
Best things about this other cover:
- Damn Ikea ceiling fans! Come on!
- Imaginary space suits are So Much Cooler than real ones. I think I found my next Halloween costume.
- I did not know the word "cybernetic" (or "cyber-" anything) went this far back.
It cannot possibly have produced the illusion of two figures, Captain and Captain's lady—and which Veronica was it?—walking, arm in arm, up the ramp to the yelllow-lit circle of the airlock. And the most impossible illusion of all, perhaps, was that of the man who stood there to greet them. I saw his face plainly as I approached, just before the odd scene winked out into nothingness.
It was my own.
End of story! Whoa, did not see that coming. P.S. spoiler alert. P.P.S. "Which Veronica Was It?" is a scifi Archie story waiting to happen.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]